Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Goodbye, Maytag

Sigh. My washing machine troubles continue. I did fix problem number two this afternoon, then tried a test run. Alas, the machine would spin, but not agitate. A careful look in the Reader's Digest Fix-It Yourself Book showed entries for "agitates, but will not spin" but not for "spins, but will not agitate." I even used the mirror trick to look under the machine while it was running--the belt to the pump was moving, but not the other one. So I decided I would just call a repair man who kindly tried to diagnose the problem over the phone. He suggested maybe a sock was stuck under the agitator or between the two tubs. He gave me directions on how to futher tear it apart, which I did, but alas, no sock. So I called him up again and he said, "Sounds like a transmission problem. That will cost $475 to fix." Yikes! That doesn't sound like it is worth it for a 16 year old machine. He agreed, and gave me his suggestion of what brand to buy at Lowes.

Good thing those kids are through college now so I can spend my money on something besides them, huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home